|Published Date : 11 Jul 2011
Last Updated : 01 Mar 2018
Content Ref: DWN2126563
There are three installation guides available to cover the following scenarios:
- Community Connect® networks
- Vanilla Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 R2
Each guide has a requirements and a troubleshooting section contained in it.
Note: An RM Community Connect 3 & 4 package is available in the Download section.
Please note: SuccessMaker Enterprise v1.7.2 reached end of life in January 2015. Support, either online or by phone, is no longer available. The information in this article is for reference purposes. SuccessMaker Enterprise 1.7.2 requirements
- This version supports Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows Vista® and Windows 7 clients. It supports Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2. It also supports widescreen formats.
- You will need to remove any existing version of SuccessMaker Enterprise from your network/standalone computer before installing 1.7.2.
- It is not possible for your existing database to be upgraded to 1.7.2. You will need to ensure that you have run reports on your current students' progress before installing this version.
- You must have a current SuccessMaker support contract in order to receive support by telephone, email or online. However, we will supply licensing information, if you require it and don't have a valid support contract.
|Community Connect Package|
It is essential when following the Community Connect installation document, that you manually install the first computer. This allows you to install Service Pack 2 (SP2), which updates the client installation files on the server.
If you allocate the package before SP2 is installed, your client version will be different from that on the server, and will try to force SuccessMaker® Enterprise to upgrade each time the client is run.
Download the SuccessMaker_Client_1.7.2_SP2.zip package, extract it and import into the RM Management Console (RMMC). Once this is complete, you can assign it to your computers. Please contact your support provider for information on importing packages into the RMMC.
|2008 R2 - Installer not showing mapped drives|
We have had some reports of the SuccessMaker installation program not recognising the mapped drive configured to install at the server.
This was resolved by logging on to the server as a local administrator, rather than a domain administrator.
|Windows Server 2008 R2 - Service won't load and Sybase Central stops responding|
We have seen instances where the SuccessMaker Enterprise SQL service was still running on another server on the network.
Sybase Central ordinarily should report that there is already a service of that name running, but as the 'Interact with desktop' option is disabled, it can't display the message.
The first course of action is to stop and disable the SME SQL service running on the other server.
To prove another instance of the service is running, follow this procedure:
(Note that you may need to end the DBSRV9.EXE process running on the server to allow Sybase Central to recover.)
- Create a new shortcut on the server desktop to C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\win32\dbserv9.exe.
- Type teh name SME Database Test for the shortcut and click Finish.
- Go to Sybase Central, SME service properties, Configuration tab and copy the contents of the Parameters field.
- Right-click the SME Database Test shortcut and select Properties.
- In the Target field, ensure the cursor is at the far-right of the box, enter a space character, then paste the parameters.
- Click OK.
- Double-click the shortcut. You should now see any error messages generated by the service.
|Windows Server 2008 R2 & Windows 7 - 'Interact with desktop' option greyed out|
|We have recently learnt that the 'Interact with desktop' option has been disabled on Windows Server 2008 R2. The option is greyed out by default to show it is not possible to configure this option. As the disabling of this feature is default on Windows Server 2008 R2, this step can be skipped. |
|When trying to run Live Backup, the screen flashes and disappears, and no backup is created. |
The Livebackup program should be able to find the database on the server, but in certain circumstances the IP setup on a network may affect its ability to do this, preventing the backup from running. In this case, please do the following:
- Log on to your Windows Server as an Administrator level user.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\SME\ResultsManager\SuccessMaker\Livebackup (or whichever drive letter is appropriate for your server).
- Right-click LiveBackup.bat and select Edit.
- Delete the contents of the current file and replace with the following:
dbbackup -c "ENG=[ServiceName];uid=backupdba;pwd=sql;LINKS=TCPIP(HOST=[ServerIP]:[PortNumber])" -r -y [DriveLetter]:\SMEBackup
- Save the file and Exit notepad.
- Double-click the LiveBackup.bat file to run the script.
- Navigate to the SMEBackup folder and ensure that you have two files - SME.DB & SME.LOG.
For a server with IP address 18.104.22.168, using UDB Port 2638, where the SMEBackup folder is in the root of the D:\ drive, and the name of the Sybase service is SME:
dbbackup -c "ENG=SME;uid=backupdba;pwd=sql;LINKS=TCPIP(HOST=22.214.171.124:2638)" -r -y D:\SMEBackup
|Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2|
We have seen a couple of installations on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 where the School Setup & Content DVD installers do not recognise the mapped drives when run.
We suggest that you install these two components from a standard computer with the drive mapped to the SME share you have created.
|Enabling console logging for the Sybase SME service|
If the service will not start correctly and gives an 'unknown' error, it is worthwhile enabling console logging mode. This outputs the service startup procedure to a text file and this may give a better indication of what is/has failed on startup.
Using Sybase Central, edit the SME Service parameters (under the Configuration tab)
Change the existing line from
-n SME -ti 0 -qp -x tcpip <full path to database>
-n SME -o c:\SMEServiceLog.txt -ti 0 -qp -x tcpip <full path to database>
(Note -o is a letter, not a zero)
Review the log file for further information.
Important: Ensure you turn console logging off afterwards and restart the service to avoid performance issues.
If this article has not helped provide a solution then it is also possible to
log a call...
Document Keywords: SME, install, guide, info, instructions, manual